The Namesake Project
Time & Location
About the Event
The Namesake Project provides students the opportunity to research their school and/or community “namesake(s)” and origins as a catalyst for creating a piece of critical, place-based writing. Our hope is that the students who participate during our summer workshop will serve as Namesake Project ambassadors, helping to recruit their peers for The Namesake Project during the 2021-22 school year.
During the 2021-22 school year, The Namesake Project finalist will be published in an anthology, offering greater visibility and validation to teens who are committed to building their writing skills.
Our summer workshop will host 2 educators and 5 guest poets, writers and/or educators throughout the week.
Program goals and desired outcomes
- The Namesake Project offers community art and engagement for students across several platforms;
- Place-based writing to help students forge a deeper connection to their community;
- Gaining the knowledge that even the name of a school is fraught with history, politics, and power;
- Honing research skills;
- An understanding of the context of their community, along with its values and changing priorities;
- Engagement with working artists to better comprehend the writing life and practice;
- Embedding the importance of writing in strengthening identity, community, and educational development.
- Nick Alexandrov has a Ph.D. in History from George Washington University, and currently teaches English at Hale High School. He has taught high school for four years, and has written and published extensively.
- Quraysh Ali Lansana is a poet, author and educator. He is author of nine poetry books, three textbooks, four children's books, editor of eight anthologies, and coauthor of a book of pedagogy. He is Tulsa Artist Fellow, Interim Director for the Center for Truth, Racial Healing and Transformation and a Professor at Oklahoma State University – Tulsa.
- Lori Walden is the Business Manager for Tri-City Collective. She has spent more than 20 years in business operations and management. Her expertise includes administrative management, human resources, client relations, organization and project coordination and marketing design.